Welcome to Team Chicago!
Running 26.2 to #KEEPFAMILIESCLOSE
Join Team RMHC Chicagoland and run for families, like Theresa’s!
When three-year-old Theresa came down with what her parents thought was an ear infection, they weren’t too worried. But after a few days of no improvement, they took Theresa to their family doctor, where it turned out the situation was much more serious – and immediate.
Theresa had appendicitis and was rushed into emergency surgery, where doctors discovered her appendix had burst and her body was struggling to fight the infection due to a weakened immune system.
During this scary time, Theresa’s parents stayed at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana. She underwent multiple life-saving surgeries, fought infections, and in January 2019, after more than a year of complex hospital care, Theresa received an extremely special gift from her brother, Kruz – a bone marrow transplant to help rebuild her struggling immune system.
Theresa was finally given the green light to return home in April, a full 14 months after first being admitted to the hospital.
“Theresa has taught us that every day you have a choice to decide how your day is going to go, if it’s going to be a good day or not a good day,” Kayla shared. “Even on her hardest days she still found a reason to smile – I think that’s a good lesson we can all take from her.”
Theresa’s dad, Nick, is grateful for the support his family received from RMHC Chicagoland. “That just helps the healing, too, that you know everyone is rooting for you.”
By joining Team Chicago, you receive:
- Free guaranteed entry into the 2019 Bank of America Chicago Marathon
- Official Team RMHC Nike technical running shirt
- Customized donation page & social media help to give your network an easy way to donate and show their support for you
- Complimentary virtual training program though Coach Brendan Courane, or discounted in-person training through Chicago Area Runners Association or Coach Brendan
- Exceptional, one-of-a-kind race weekend experience, including team pasta dinner and day of Hospitality tent with private gear check, restrooms, pre and post race food & drink, massages, entertainment and a red carpet arrival
- PLUS net proceeds raised by Team Chicago will be shared 50/50 between RMHC Global and Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana!